Dr. Paul Nettle Middle School
School Counseling Department
During the fall, Mrs. Crowley and Ms. Melillo will be working closely with the 8th grade students to prepare them for high school. If your child is going to apply to a private high school, please send in all the required documents with a Parent/Guardian signature to authorize us to send out any and all academic records. These records include report cards from 7th and 8th Grade, as well as all standardized tests score reports (MCAS). Most schools also require a recommendation either from the Guidance Counselor and/or Teacher Recommendations. If this is the case, please make sure your child sees us to receive a Student Questionnaire. We require at least a two week window to complete an application packet. Please contact us at 978-374-5792 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you have any questions.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES
October 12th– HHS Counselors Presentation during 8th grade specials
October 12th – Progress Reports Issued
October 18th—Essex Tech Presentation at Nettle during school day
October 19th—HHS Academy Night 6:00pm at HHS
October 20th—Classical Academy Exam Online Registration Deadline
October 31st – SBIRT Screening for all 7th Grade Students
November 5th—Classical Academy Exam 8:30am-12:30pm
November 29th – HHS tour 8:45-11:00am
November 29th – Marks close for 1st trimester
December 8th — 8th Grade Whittier Tech tour 8:45-11:00am
December 9th – Report Cards Issued
December 15th – Parent Teacher Conferences (Grades 5-8)
High School information packet
October 19th: Academy Night at HHS at 6pm
November 29th: 8th grade tour at HHS
December 8th: 8th grade tour at WVT
Guidance Spring Newsletter
PRACTICE QUESTIONS TO PREPARE FOR INTERVIEWS
Here are some practice questions for you to review in order to prepare for your interview. It would be helpful for you to practice answering these questions at home with your family or friends. Please keep in mind that high schools are looking for motivated students who have a sincere interest in their school. It would also be helpful to take a look at the school’s website. This is a good tool to use to review what the school has to offer and assist you in identifying activities/ clubs that you’re interested in. Please let Mrs. Crowley or Ms. Melillo know if you have any questions. Good luck!
- Why do you want to attend this high school? Why do you think this school is the right choice for you?
- What kinds of things do you like to do outside of school (ie. extracurricular activities, sports, etc.)? Be familiar with the clubs, sports, and activities their school has to offer.
- What are the subjects you are most interested in and why?
- What are the subjects that are most challenging for you and why? Be able to relate academics to the area that you have the most interest (Ex. Math may not be your strength/ favorite subject but you are aware that you will need math skills to work in a specific technical area).
- What project have you completed that you are most proud of and why?
- Be prepared to explain any low grades, drop in grades, excessive absences (please get doctor’s notes to excuse any medical absences if excessive in either 7th or 8th grade), discipline issues, etc.
- Where do you see yourself five years from now? What will you be doing?
- Do you have any questions? Be prepared to ask at least one question about the high school you are applying to.
The interview is your time to tell them why they should choose YOU to attend their school.
Be yourself. You only have one chance to make a first impression. Make it a great one!
Mrs. Crowley & Ms. Melillo
Greetings from Guidance!! We’re all looking forward to having you and your child with us here at Nettle School. Middle School is a big step and a big change, both for students and parents. Many new 5th graders may feel excited but also a little nervous as they begin middle school and take on this new adventure. During this transition time, it’s important to keep the communication lines open, to listen, and to stay involved. We look forward to working with all of you. Over the next few weeks, we will be meeting with all 7th and 8th graders to discuss high school options. We will also be meeting with all 5th graders to assist with the transition to middle school and to help them develop appropriate social and communication skills. If you have any questions or need anything, please do not hesitate to reach us at (978) 374-5792.
- October 16, 2015: Deadline to register for Classical Academy Entrance Exam
- November 14, 2015: Classical Academy Entrance Exam
The exam for the Haverhill High Classical Academy will take place on Saturday, November 14 at 8:30 a.m. This year, the test will be given in all four middle schools.
If you wish for your child to take the academy test, the link to the registration form for the Classical Academy test for 8th graders is now on the HHS website’s(http://hhs.haverhill-ps.org/) main menu (on the right hand side just under the photo of the high school). Registration is due by October 16, 2015.
If you have any questions please email Jami Dion, Supervisor of Guidance at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at at 978-374-5700 ext. 1133.
8th Grade Information
7th Grade Information
Guidance Fall Newsletter 2015